1. What is your persona’s name?
2. What year was your persona born?
3. What is your persona’s native country?
4. What is your persona’s current country?
Brittany and Scotland-depending upon the season.
5. What are the climates of your persona's native and current countries?
Cold, rainy and occasionally sub-polar
6. What are the terrains of your persona's native and current countries?
Rocky promontories and wide, marshy moors
7. In what city/town/barn was your persona born?
8. What city does your persona currently claim as "home"?
9. What are/were your persona’s parents’ names?
Alexander and Margaret MacLeod
10. What are/were your persona’s parents’ occupation(s)?
Father was hangman for the city of Berwick, Mother tended the household.
11. Does your persona have any siblings, and if so, are any still alive?
No living siblings.
12. Is your persona married?
13. What are the marriage customs and typical age of marriage for your persona's culture/time-frame?
Standard 13th C Catholic church ceremony, at the church door.
14. What type of building does your persona currently live in?
Substantial tower house and small holding.
15. With whom does your persona live?
With my Breton born wife...whom I met and married on campaign.
16. Are there members of your persona's household that are not related to your persons
(servants/retainers, wards/fosterlings, guests, etc.)?
Several servants...grooms, hostlers, cook, scullions, men at arms etc...
17. Were pets kept during your persona’s culture/time-frame? If so, what kind, if any, does your persona have?
Cats are a household necessity for vermin control. Dogs for hunting. Horses for transport.
18. What is your persona’s occupation?
A Baron of the Scottish Court, and Officer Justiciar for Selkirk, Roxburgh and Peebles.
19. How old is your persona?
20. How long do people like your persona tend to live?
Average age of mortality...between 45 and 60.
21. What is your persona’s ethnicity?
22. Who is your persona’s current employer?
King James the 3rd
23. Would your persona have been literate in your chosen culture/time-frame?
24. What level of education does your persona have?
Enough schooling to read, write ,tally accounts and speak in multiple languages.
25. Where was your persona educated?
26. What languages does your persona speak?
Gaelic, English, French and Latin
27. What units of measure were used by your persona’s culture/time-frame?
Pounds, ounces, Ells, yards , feet, gills, minims, drams, hogsheads, barrels, gross, etc...
28. What type of money did people of your persona’s culture/time-frame use?
The mark, the penny, the half penny, the shilling, the florin and the livre d'or
29. What kind of legal system exists in your persona’s culture/time-frame, and who make the laws?
Scotland primarily followed English/Norman law customs with some recourse to older Brehon Law.
30. What is the status of women among your persona’s culture/time-frame, and can they own property or conduct business?
They can own a business, conduct business, own land... When/if their husband died, they inherited his property and often his trade. When she died, she decided how her things were split among her children. Women can sign contracts and perform all civil actions same as men.
31. What major events have occurred during your persona’s lifetime? (Natural catastrophes, wars, revolutions, discoveries, etc.?)
Significant battles with the French, The black death, a good deal of internecine warfare between clans.
32. Does your persona fight? If so, where did your persona learn to fight?
Trained from age seven , first as a squire and then as a man at arms and later Baron. Skilled with the sword, the bow and the lance. As well as the axe, the mace and the pollaxe.
33 What type of armour and weapons were used by fighters in your persona’s culture/time-frame? And how were such obtained?
Armor and weapons for the Scots more or less follows the pattern for arms and armor found in France or England during the same period.
34. List your persona’s skills and hobbies. For each, write down where your persona learned them.
Hunting, riding, shooting(self bow)
35. What "class" is your persona? (I.e., royalty, nobility, merchant, middle, artisan, slave, etc.)
36. How widely has your persona traveled?
Wars in Brittany and the German kingdoms. Pilgrimage to Rome.
37. In what capacity has your persona traveled? (I.e., military, sailor, rich person’s hobby, etc.)
Military and religious pilgrimage
38. Who is your persona’s current monarch?
39. Who is the current Pope during your persona time?
40. What religion is your persona?
41. What kind of religious duties would be required of your persona?
Regular daily Catholic services.
42. How did people of your persona’s culture/time-frame deal with trade?
cash exchange and barter.
43. With respect to international relations, does your persona favor colonization, isolationism, conquest/conversion, open trade, etc.?
Staunchly favors Scottish independence and preservation of the Auld Alliance with France.
44. How does your persona personally obtain goods (food, drink, clothes, etc.)?
What are vassals for, really???
45. How did people of your persona’s culture/time-frame tell time?
46. How did people of your persona’s culture/time-frame keep track of days?
47. What type of clothes does your persona normally wear?
Average Nobleman's habit for the early 1300's
48. What type of clothes does your persona wear for special occasions?
Average Nobleman's habit for the early 1300's
49. Are there any (sumptuary) laws restricting what your persona can wear?
Not in Scotland , no.
50. What does your persona eat in a normal day?
Meat and fish based diet with cooked vegetables and fruits, yeast raised bread and large quantities of beer, ale, cider and perry. Uisgebaugh.
51. How is food prepared and preserved in your persona’s culture/time-frame?
By my servants.
52. What spices were available to your persona and how expensive were they?
Expensive? Very. Salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, grains of paradise, cubebs, etc...
53. What were the eating habits of people of your persona’s culture/time-frame?
Meat and fish heavy diet, Observant of Lent...meatless Fridays etc... No breakfast to speak of, Dinner(the big noonday meal) then supper( a light meal after sunset).
54. What are the cleaning/bathing habits of your persona’s culture/time-frame?
Regular bathing...at least once a week. Swabbing off/sponge bath daily or when dirty.
55. What types of wildlife live in your persona's area?
Boar, wolves, red deer, wild salmon, wildcats, stoats, martens, foxes, gamebirds etc...
56. Name your persona’s favorite musicians/artists/dances.
regional musicians, no artists to speak of...Dances the pavanne, galliard, various bransles
57. What political figure/party/movement does your persona support?
The king and the council of the lairds.
58. Who is the most significant thinker of your persona’s time?
Unaware of the great thinkers of Europe...defer to my advisors re: such things.
59. What does your persona consider to be the greatest social problem their country?
The Royal Succession, taxes and war
60. What is most likely to cause your persona’s death?
The Black Death.
61. What type of medical aid is available in your persona’s culture/time-frame, and does your persona have access to it?
Surgery performed by professional surgeons/chirurgeons, most other medical care provided by herb doctors or "wise" folk. Natural remedies using the local pharmacopeia.
62. List at least three of your persona’s goals in life. (Learn to write, become apprenticed to a craftsman, visit the "big city",
Crush my nearest neighbor and add his lands to mine. Make fortune in the wool trade. Have enough money to leave to my descendents.
63. What does your persona know of history/science/medicine/geography?
The world is round. He knows basic chemistry of the empirical type. History is also geneology to him. Medecine is what you order when you're sick.
64. What’s the most striking scientific achievement of which your persona is aware?
65. Does your persona consider the Earth to be flat, round, or hollow?
The earth is round...and possibly hollow.
66. Does your persona believe that the Earth revolves around the Sun, or vice-versa?
Solar centric with Earth as satellite.
67. What does your persona consider to be the causes of criminal behavior?
bad breeding and poverty in combination.
68. What does your persona consider to be the true measure of a man?
His deeds and his word.
69. Who has most influenced your persona’s thoughts on these questions?
Classical education: Marcus Aurelius, Aristotle, Plato. Socrates...etc...
70. Did your persona’s culture/time-frame have heraldry?